Dante's inferno opens with Dante running through the woods from three horrible monsters. He runs for so long that he finds himself lost in the dark woods. He's tired, he's alone, and he realizes his doesn't know the diritta via, or right way out. He becomes conscious that he is ruining himself and finds himself falling into what he calls a basso loco, or deep place, where he says the sun is silent (I sol tace). My disordered world is my basso loco where I sol tace. The words found here are my desperate attempt to articulate what feels like my stumble through a place where up is down and food is greed, where death is honor and flesh is weak. It seemed so easy to find my way here but I'm finding it much harder to find the way out.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Next to Normal

Most little girls wanted to be a ballerina but I kind of wanted to be a vampire.  I never remembered feeling settled or calm, nor do I ever feel those things now.  I was always feeling chaotic things, overwhelming things, things to big and too complicated for a little girl to make sense of so I spelled them out on my arms and they spilled out of my mouth in waves of nausea and word vomit.


Secret: I still hold my breath whenever people touch me or hold me.

1 comment: